Does Collagen Make You Gain Weight?
Recently, suggestions that collagen can improve skin health, reduce joint discomfort, and encourage weight loss have made the news. Concerning the connection between collagen and weight gain, there has been some misunderstanding. While some contend that using collagen supplements can lead to weight gain, others contend that the contrary is true. What then is the reality? Does collagen cause weight gain? Let’s investigate.
What is Collagen?
Thirty percent or so of the body’s total protein content is made up of the protein collagen. Our skin, bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments all depend on it for structure and support, making it an essential part of each of these body parts. Collagen is frequently referred to as the “fountain of youth” since it maintains the flexibility of our skin.
What’s the Difference Between Chubby and Fat? 3 Critical Physical Differences
How Does Collagen Help with Weight Loss?
While there isn’t any proof that collagen can help people lose weight, some research points to a potential benefit for weight management. Because collagen is a protein that fills you up, you may feel less hungry throughout the day and consume fewer calories. Collagen may also aid in boosting muscular mass, which can raise metabolism and improve resting energy expenditure.
Does Low Testosterone Cause Weight Gain? 5 Surprising Signs and symptoms
Can Collagen Cause Weight Gain?
Contrary to popular assumption, there is no proof in favour of collagen causing weight gain. Collagen is actually a low-calorie, low-fat protein that isn’t likely to alone lead to weight gain. Some collagen supplements, however, could have extra substances like sugar, which might increase your daily calorie consumption and perhaps cause weight gain.
How to Get Rid of Side-Boob Fat? 7 Proven Tips to Say Goodbye to Side-Boob Flab
How to Incorporate Collagen Supplements into Your Diet
There are numerous ways to include collagen supplements in your diet if you’re interested in giving them a try. Powders, pills, and gummies are just a few of the several forms that collagen supplements can take. Here are some pointers on utilising them:
- You can add collagen powder to coffee or smoothies. Since collagen powder has no flavour or odour, you can easily add it to your favourite beverages.
- With meals, take collagen capsules. You may easily include collagen capsules to your regular supplement routine because they are convenient and simple to consume.
- Gummies made of collagen can be a tasty treat. A tasty and enjoyable method to include collagen to your diet is through collagen gummies.
It’s crucial to remember that while collagen supplements could have advantages for weight reduction and general health, they shouldn’t be used as a substitute for a balanced diet and regular exercise.
Should I Lose Weight Before Building Muscle? 5 Pros and Cons
3 Benefits of Collagen Supplements
As more people search for strategies to keep their young and stave against age-related health conditions, collagen supplements are rising in popularity. Some advantages of using collagen supplements are as follows:
- Improves Skin Health
For the maintenance of healthy skin, collagen is essential. The skin seems younger and more vibrant as a result of the reduction of wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin.
- Promotes Joint Health
Our cartilage needs collagen to function properly, which promotes the health of our joints. Collagen supplements help ease stiffness and soreness in the joints, making it simpler to go about your regular activities.
- Strengthens Bones
Our bones depend heavily on collagen to stay healthy and strong. According to studies, consuming collagen supplements can increase bone density and lower the risk of osteoporosis.
Depressed About My Weight But Can’t Stop Eating? 5 Possible Reasons
Other Benefits of Collagen
Collagen has a number of additional health advantages outside its potential role in weight loss. According to some research, it may enhance skin elasticity and hydration, reduce joint discomfort, and support digestive health.
I’ve Gained Weight and I Feel Disgusting: 7 Proven Tips to Overcome
Precautions When Taking Collagen
Although most individuals find collagen to be generally safe, it’s vital to be aware of any possible adverse effects. Supplemental collagen may produce an allergic reaction in some people, leading to signs including hives, itching, and swelling. Before incorporating collagen supplements into your routine, it’s vital to speak with a healthcare provider because they may interact with some drugs.
How to Tighten Skin After Weight Loss Naturally? 13 Natural Ways
How to Choose the Right Collagen Supplement
It’s crucial to choose a collagen supplement that is of good quality and devoid of any potentially dangerous chemicals. Look for goods that are created from hormone- and antibiotic-free, pasture-raised, grass-fed animals.
Choosing a supplement that is simple to stomach and absorb is essential as well. Hydrolyzed collagen supplements are easier for the body to digest and absorb since they have been divided up into smaller peptides.
Therefore, there is no proof that collagen can actually lead to weight increase. However, certain collagen supplements could include additional sugars, which might raise calorie consumption overall and perhaps result in weight gain. Collagen has a number of health advantages when used in a balanced diet and way of life, including potential advantages for weight loss. Prior to using collagen in your regimen, it’s crucial to speak with a healthcare expert as you would with any supplement.
Is collagen safe for pregnant women?
Although collagen is typically safe for pregnant women, it’s best to speak with a healthcare provider before incorporating any new supplements into your daily regimen.
How long does it take to see results from collagen supplements?
Individual differences affect how long it takes for collagen supplements to start working. While some people can get effects in as little as four weeks, others would require many months of collagen supplementation to experience a discernible improvement.
Are there any foods that naturally contain collagen?
Bone broth does contain collagen naturally.
Are there any side effects of collagen supplements?
Although most individuals find collagen supplements to be safe, a small number of people may experience mild side effects like diarrhoea, upset stomach, or a sense of fullness.
Can collagen supplements help with hair and nail health?
Although there isn’t strong proof that collagen supplements can directly improve the health of the hair and nails, some people have claimed to see benefits in these areas after using collagen supplements.
Can collagen reduce belly fat?
There is no concrete proof that collagen helps lessen belly fat. However, taking collagen supplements might help with weight loss by encouraging satiety and enhancing metabolism.
Does collagen cause water weight gain?
Collagen does not lead to water retention or weight gain. To stimulate collagen creation and assist the maintenance of healthy skin, joints, and other tissues, adequate water consumption is important.
Does marine collagen make you gain weight?
You won’t gain weight if you use marine collagen, no. Similar to other varieties of collagen, marine collagen is a low-calorie source of protein that may potentially help with weight loss.
Does collagen cause bloating and weight gain?
Supplements containing collagen may, on occasion, produce bloating or stomach discomfort. These side effects, nevertheless, are not frequently linked to weight gain.
What is the best time to take collagen for weight loss?
The ideal time to take collagen for weight loss is not predetermined. While some people find it most convenient to take collagen supplements with meals, others prefer to take them first thing in the morning or right before bed.
Does collagen make your face fat?
No, collagen won’t add extra pounds to your face. In reality, collagen may support skin suppleness and lessen the visibility of wrinkles and fine lines.
Can collagen cause bloating?
Supplements containing collagen may, on occasion, produce bloating or stomach discomfort. However, most of the time these adverse effects are mild and may be avoided by taking collagen supplements with food or lowering the dosage.
- Asserin J, Lati E, Shioya T, Prawitt J. The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2015 Dec;14(4):291-301. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12174. Epub 2015 Aug 26. PMID: 26362110. Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26362110/
- Kim DU, Chung HC, Choi J, Sakai Y, Lee BY. Oral Intake of Low-Molecular-Weight Collagen Peptide Improves Hydration, Elasticity, and Wrinkling in Human Skin: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Nutrients. 2018 Jun 26;10(7):826. doi: 10.3390/nu10070826. PMID: 29949889; PMCID: PMC6073484. Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29949889/
- de Castro GB, Silva CHD, da Silva BP, Mariano RRA, Pereira LM, Campos FMF, Girão VCC, Júnior JES. Effects of collagen supplementation on body composition and physical performance: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2020 Jul 16;17(1):37. doi: 10.1186/s12970-020-00368-0. PMID: 32677964; PMCID: PMC7362345. Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32677964/
- Zdzieblik D, Oesser S, Gollhofer A, König D. Improvement of activity-related knee joint discomfort following supplementation of specific collagen peptides. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017 Jun;42(6):588-595. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2016-0390. Epub 2017 Feb 23. PMID: 28229548. Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28229548/
- Clark KL, Sebastianelli W, Flechsenhar KR, Aukermann DF, Meza F, Millard RL, Deitch JR, Sherbondy PS, Albert A. 24-Week study on the use of collagen hydrolysate as a dietary supplement in athletes with activity-related joint pain. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 May;24(5):1485-96. doi: 10.1185/030079908×291967 . PMID: 18416885. Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18416885/